Sunday, May 15, 2011

Wanna be a Mother's Day!

As you know, last Sunday was Mother's Day. Even though I'm not a mom and I'm not pregnant, I kind of felt like I should get a little bit of recognition because I've already taken steps in the motherhood direction. For example, I quit caffeine (again) and always take my prenatal vitamins. I also started clomid which makes me feel like hell for about a week. After we "tried" if you know what I mean, I stopped drinking alcohol AND I stood in line for an hour at Urgent Care on Saturday morning to get a blood test to monitor the medication. Plus, I'm my dogs mom, so that totally counts, right?

Anyway, I decided that this Sunday was going to be my special day and my husband and I would spend the whole day together. Usually, our weekends fill up with work, family obligations, husband's golf, etc. and it has been a long time since we've had a day for just the two of us. So, I told my husband that today he was all mine and we had an amazing day!

It started with breakfast in bed on the couch made by my wonderful husband. We had really yummy breakfast sandwiches, but I forgot to take a picture, so you'll have to use your imagination. Fresh baked focaccia with avocado, tomato, and cheesy eggs. YUM.

Then, I got dressed up in a new dress I bought for my friend Laura's rehearsal dinner. I found it at Nordstrom Rack on sale from $118 to $45!! Plus, it was a size 2! The brand must run big, because I'm nowhere near a size 2, but it did make me feel amazing.

Our first destination was the Art in the Streets exhibit at MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art). Before we went in, though, we stopped by the Levi's Film Workshop next door. It was pretty cool! They had a green screen that was all setup with a camera and monitors, a stop-motion workshop, thing cool thing where you could draw on filmstrips that they would later make into a movie, an editing station, and this cool camera:


Then, we headed in to the museum and it was pretty awesome.



When I was student-teaching 4 years ago, a student gave me a painting made from this stencil. He copied it from Banksy and I still have it hanging up by my desk.


This was my favorite piece. It was in a little room by itself and was a big sculpture made of paper cut-outs with lights shining from the inside out. The room was draped in white fabric, so the light made these beautiful shadows all around the room.


I want to live inside of it.


There were quite a few sculptures of very life-like people and animals. In the Bansky section, there were 2 men in white suits with gas masks on and a dog peeing on a wall. I had to hold my husband's hand when we walked by them because I have always been afraid of that sort of thing. I can remember walking through an entire museum with my hand over my eyes when I was little (my mom was holding my other hand) because it was full of life-sized stuffed bears and wolves and other animals. I was terrified and it still REALLY freaks me out. Life-like people are even worse, so when we went into this dark hallway and turned the corner to find this:


I completely freaked out and ran the other way. I made my husband take a picture so I could share it with you guys even though I was terrified of it. It was a figure of a bum and I get the creeps just looking at this picture



Can you see my cute dress?


These are pictures shaped like bricks of train cars covered in graffiti . They covered three walls of one little room.


My husband's favorite.


Who knew a tagged freeway sign would be considered art?


Little houses mounted on the wall - the wall was covered in different types of doors. See the little doggie?


My favorite door. I really wanted a print of this, but the gift shop was not too great. I'll have to try to find one online somewhere. By Oso somebody.


Speakers! They also had a drum kit, guitars, and a keyboard set up that you could play.


A wall of lost pet posters. Sad, but cool.


What if we used this to teach the alphabet?


On the right, a poster for a great movie about street art called Exit Through the Gift Shop. You should see it. On the left, one of my favorite guys. Don't hate.

After the museum, we headed to my new favorite restaurant Bottega Louie. This time I took pictures of our food. Some of them I remembered to take before we started eating, too! Win!


Modena salad. Or what's left of it. Really yummy.


We loved it, can't you tell?


Berry lemonade - light a refreshing, not too sweet, just sweet enough. Perfect for this caffeine-free lady.


Burrata pizza with prosciutto and broccoli rabe. Soooooo yummy.


Butterscotch Budino - butterscotch custard with sea salt and whipped cream. Holy YUM. Changed my life, just like the server said it would.

We also had a couple of cappuccinos which were delish (decaf for me) and took home some macarons.


I really wanted a cupcake with a mini macaron on top. My favorite was the one with the rose petal and pink sprinkles, but I had to walk away. Too many calories were consumed on my behalf that day.

When we got home, I went on a bike ride to Whole Foods for some peonies, my favorite flower.


It was the perfect day.

Have you ever declared a "me" day? What did you do?

1 comments:

Ash said... [Reply to comment]

I'm so jealous. I've been wanting to go to that exhibit since it opened! The artist(s) you liked are called Os GĂȘmeos. They're brothers from Brazil. Their portion of the exhibit is the one I'm dying to see most. Great choice for your special day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails