Friday, July 29, 2011

Summer Vacation Day 6 Part 2

After we got back from Alcatraz, we raced back to the ferry building so that we would be able to buy some things before all the shops closed. We barely made it in time, but were able to get caramels froRecchiuti, rolls from Acme, cheese from Cowgirl Creamery, and two meat cones (I wish I had a picture of this - just imagine paper cones filled with different types of pork deli meat) from Boccalone which were all recommendations from Jordan. We weren't eating this for dinner, our plan was to save it for lunch on our way home the following day. Instead of getting fast food on the long drive, we would stop somewhere for a gourmet picnic!

For dinner, we headed to The Slanted Door, which was, conveniently, right there in the ferry building. Have I convinced you of the awesomeness that is the ferry building yet? This was another recommendation from Cathy, who pretty much planned our entire trip unknowingly. Not only did I ask her for restaurant recommendations, but I also asked her what to order. What would we have done without her?

Since the dining room wasn't yet open for dinner, we sat at the bar and had a drink first. I got the ginger limeade, which was so delicious - like a margarita, but better - and my husband got a fancy beer that came in a wine glass.


Check out this cool art:


Drawings of faces made by kids! Great idea for a playroom...

We finally got a table and started with the crispy imperial rolls (forgot to take a picture of this, but they were so yummy) and the BBQ pork spareribs which you can see me devouring here:


I tried to edit this picture to get rid of my horrendous red face, but it didn't work.

Then, we had the pan seared scallops (best of my life) and the spicy green beans with mushrooms (delish, but it's not on the online menu). I got the brown rice and my husband got the white.



The service was superb and while the food was a bit pricey, it was worth every penny. Neither of us had ever had Vietnamese food before and we both loved it.

Next, we headed to Bi-Rite Creamery. I drove, which was a big mistake - I'm really surprised I didn't get pulled over for some of the dumb things I did. Don't worry, I was sober, just really bad at driving in that crazy city with the designated bus lanes and huge bike lanes...

Here was the line when we arrived:


This place is quite popular, and for good reason. Everyone I asked told me to get the salted caramel ice cream and you don't have to tell me twice about salted caramel. It is my favorite flavor ever. I will buy regular caramel Haggen Dazs and put salt on it to try to get the same effect.


I wish I had some right now. Best ever.

We saw a bunch of people hanging out at this park that was right across the street from Bi-Rite, so we decided to eat our ice cream over there.


This is Dolores Park, aka hippie central. As we walked toward an open place to sit, we realized that these people weren't enjoying picnics or ice cream. No, they had cases of beer and little cigarettes of... well, you know. We quickly finished our ice cream and headed out of there just at the sun was setting and the police were showing up. It was definitely an experience to remember!



Bye bye Golden Gate. It was nice taking a billion pictures of you!

The next morning, we packed up and headed home. I got stuck with the terrifying task of driving across the Richmond Bridge. I had to drive across it on the way there, too and I hated that darn thing.


My husband, making fun of me as usual...


I don't know why I felt better being on the bottom level this time. Seems even more dangerous in an earthquake...


Only 416 miles to go!


After a full day of driving, we finally got back. While we were sad that our trip had ended, there's really no place like home.

This was probably the best vacation we had taken since our honeymoon. Just the two of us, a fun city, and delicious food. What could be better?

2 comments:

Michelle said... [Reply to comment]

So fun! I've been to Dolores Park a time or two. Glad you had fun!! It was much deserved. :)

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Those scallops look so freaking delicious!

Related Posts with Thumbnails