Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Positively Negative


Read all of my Spearmint Baby posts here.

I can be a bit of a Negative Nelly. Readers have emailed me who don't know me in real life and have said they love my positivity, which always catches me off guard. Is that how I portray myself online? If it is, I'm glad, because I don't really think I'm like that away from the computer.

Yesterday, we had a doctor's appointment. I was excited to go so that we could make sure everything was going well, but I was also really nervous in case it wasn't. While I don't feel like I'm always panicked about this pregnancy, I do have a constant dull fear that something bad is going to happen.


First, the doctor tried to listen to the heartbeat with a doppler (that’s what it’s called, right?). I knew he would try this first and I knew that it was possible that he wouldn’t be able to find it, but that didn’t mean anything was wrong and he would do an ultra sound to make sure. Of course, he couldn’t find it and while I didn’t panic, there was that dull fear present.
That ultrasound was the most amazing moment of my entire life. Right when the baby appeared on the screen, it started waving! Last time it looked like a sea monkey. This time, it looked like a real baby. We could see it’s profile and arms and legs and everything. My husband almost didn’t make this appointment, but we were really glad he did.
After the baby show, my doctor asked me how I was feeling and when I said I was always nervous that something bad was going to happen, he said he could tell and that made me sad. I don’t want to come across as negative, but it’s hard for me to put on a happy face all the time and pretend like I’m worry-free.
That comment from the doctor did make me want to change, though. I’m going to make a conscious effort to think and act more positively about this pregnancy. We have wanted this so bad for so long and it would be a shame to waste all the joy with worry.
For those moms and pregnant ladies out there: how did/do you handle the fears and worries? To those those future moms: do you think you’ll be a worrier like me or will you be worry-free?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails