Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thank you and 4 weeks

Thank you all so much for your kind words on my last post. It's funny how blogging/facebooking/tweeting about it makes the pregnancy feel so much more real!

I wrote this on July 29, 2011 during my fourth week of pregnancy.

My period was due Monday, so I took a pregnancy test on Tuesday morning. It was positive. I had been feeling some tenderness in my breasts and some light cramping for a few days, but didn't put much stock in it because those can also be symptoms of PMS. Once I got the positive on the digital test, I called the doctor and made an appointment for the following day. I took another test the next morning, which was positive again, but this time it showed up really quickly. I continued having cramping and after some googling knew (even though I already knew this it helped to confirm it again) that it was a completely normal and a sign that implantation was occuring and that my uterus was preparing for pregnancy. I was nervous to go to the doctor because last time I was pregnant, my former doctor's urine test was negative. However, the receptionist at my new doctor's office assured me that they would order a blood test right away if the same thing happened again.

This appointment proved even further why my new doctor (and the entire office) is amazing. The same receptionist was there who I spoke with on the phone. She asked me if I was doing alright and made me feel at ease right away. The nurse who took me in was the same I'd had for my previous appointment and she said I didn't even need to do a urine test. She said my home tests were enough and that the doctor would be able to tell from an exam (by the shape of my uterus) if I really was pregnant.

The doctor confirmed everything and calmed any fears I had. He reminded me that the chance of a miscarriage is about one out of every five pregnancies, regardless of previous history. We discussed progesterone suppositories and decided against it, together. He said he didn't see any reason that I needed them and I was a bit reluctant to use them due to the cost and hassle. Plus, there is no evidence that they really work, so I decided to trust my body and go without. If I lost the pregnancy again and got pregnant again, I would reconsider, especially because insurance covers the suppositories if a woman has had two miscarriages.

He gave me orders for two blood tests, one for that day and one for the next Monday, to see how everything was progressing. We also made an appointment for an ultra sound in two weeks. Something about having that appointment in the books made me feel so much better. It was something real and tangible to look forward to. I left feeling relieved and a bit excited, but still guarded. I'm not sure I will ever really let my guard down until I'm holding a healthy baby in my arms and even then I'm sure I'll have plenty of worries.

I continued feeling cramps for the next couple of days and each trip to the bathroom was a bit terrifying. However, I knew that the more symptoms I felt at this point, the better. Last time, I didn't really feel any symptoms. I definitely didn't have cramping like I did this time and I wasn't as emotional. Since Sunday, I have cried a million times over the tiniest stupidest things.

I started incorporating more pregnancy super foods into my diet: eggs, walnuts, leafy greens, whole grains (popcorn counts!), salmon (a household favorite), lean meats, beans, colorful fruits and veggies, sweet potatoes, and yogurt. I'm trying to do a little bit of exercise each day, but other than that, I'm being very lazy. I figure I should soak it all in while I can. Only two more weeks of summer break!

I realize some of this is a repeat from what I wrote in yesterday's post, but it is interesting to me to see what I was feeling in the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

CONGRATULATIONS, AMY!!!!!!!!! I am sooo happy for you and your hubby!!! - Maureen

Jen said... [Reply to comment]

Congrats again!! I am so thrilled for you!! I wish you a happy healthy pregnancy!!! Welcome to the mommy club! :)

Jen

Related Posts with Thumbnails