Friday, March 26, 2010

WASC, or wasp, as my students call it





Either term, WASC or wasp sends shivers down my spine.

WASC stands for the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. In short, this group accredits schools to validate the diplomas they award to their students. Our school is new, so this was the first time we went through this process. Usually, WASC requires some work, but the school has everything written and just makes some modifications and preparations for the visit. In our case, we created the document from scratch. I was asked by the principal and WASC coordinator at our school to be part of the writing team. I knew it wouldn't look good if I said no, so I didn't and basically signed my life away for a whole lot of extra work without a whole lot of compensation. In fact, unless my next paycheck has a boost, the only thing I got out of doing all this work is a sweatshirt and a free lunch.

Well, it is over now and Spring Break is next week. How's that for timing? Our report was wonderful and we are anticipating a great term to come back from the state. Am I glad I did it? Yes. It looks good on a resume and it is good experience. Would I do it again? Heck no! No more working for free for me! Spring Break, here I come!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails