Wednesday, December 8, 2010

#reverb10: Community

December 7 – Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

I have gotten a taste of the whole online community thing this year and, while my husband thinks I'm a huge dork for having blog friends, it has been fun getting to know people without ever meeting them face to face.  I also love that most people are really very receptive. If I comment of their blog, they'll read a post of mine and comment back. I list someone on my blogroll, they return the favor. We're not in competition, we all help and encourage each other on our own journeys.

Our neighbors have also developed a sense of community for us over the last couple of years. Everyone knows everyone on our little street and we all help each other out: hanging Christmas lights last weekend, making cards for the woman who had surgery, watching someone's house when they're on vacation... I always wanted to live on a street where everyone is friendly and now I do!

While I'm not a religious person, I have always yearned for the type of community that church brings. I hear about families who go through something difficult and the church community steps in to bring food and help with babysitting. We have our families who support us in times like those, but a larger community that church can provide would be fulfilling, I imagine.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails