Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekend Wrap-Up

I'm sorry I posting this so late today. I'm not feeling so hot and couldn't bring myself to do anything but sleep, eat, or watch TV until now. Pathetic, aren't I?

Not only was it the first weekend of summer, but it was the first weekend of my summer break! Friday, I packed the last of my things at school and said goodbye. After work, I went out to happy hour with a few teachers, something I never do, to celebrate.

sorry for the blurry pic

I had so much fun and am so glad I got over my usual shyness and went out. Isn't that how it usually works?

Saturday I was as lazy as I could possibly be. I pretty much did nothing while my dear husband worked on skimming the walls in our entryway. We are trying to get them flat like our living room walls are now (thanks to HGTV) and wanted to start the DIY process in the smallest of the three areas that are covered in horrible texturing.



It still needs one more coat and a lot more sanding, but it is looking pretty good! We are thinking we'll need more than just one person to do out hallway and guest room, so if you're into hard labor, let me know. We can pay in pizza and beer!

Sunday morning I met a few of the girls for brunch. I gave my friend Laura a late birthday present with this card:


Since there are four of us in this group of friends, I labeled each of these little girls as one of us. From left to right: Roxanne, Michelle, Laura, and Amy (me). Michelle brought her son Carter who was super cute even though I made him cry. Oops!

Last year, we got to go to the Twilight Eclipse premiere that was part of the LA Film Fest. Read about it here. This year, we decided to attend the premiere of Katie Holmes' new movie Don't Be Afraid of the Dark.


The movie was downtown at the Nokia theater across from the Staples center. We started off the evening with happy hour at Fleming's which is one of my favorite date night activities. We always make an early dinner out of it. Our favorite is the beef carpaccio and calamari with sweet peppers. Mmmmm getting hungry just thinking about it.

After a couple of drinks and a good meal, we headed over to the movie where we had to endure complaining of one of the donor's employees who believed we were sitting in their reserved seats. We ended up being moved (to better seats very close to where Guillermo del Torro, the film's writer, and Troy Nixey, the director, sat) and found out that those employees who were so concerned about their seats left halfway through the movie to have drinks at a nearby restaurant. Whatever.

I liked the movie, though I think that's because it wasn't too scary - I don't really like very scary movies. I wouldn't say it's a must-see, but it was a cool event to attend. Oh, and I got to see Katie Holmes in person! She's extremely skinny.


The after party wasn't as good as last year's, no celebrity sightings or amazing decor, but my husband enjoyed the red velvet cupcakes and I enjoyed watching this adorable couple dance:


I love our yearly tradition of attending one event at the LA Film Fest (as a couple, my husband always goes to a few events on his own), but I've learned my lesson and will be wearing very comfortable shoes next year. My feet are covered in blisters today. Ouch.


How was your weekend? Busy? Lazy? Somewhere in between?

3 comments:

Colette said... [Reply to comment]

How fun! Ryan and some of his coworkers did the LA Film Fest pre-screener trailers. They should have been shown right before the movie started. Which one did you get? I think there was comedy, horror, romance and drama...

Amy said... [Reply to comment]

@Colette
yes! we saw the horror one and it was so cool!!

Michelle said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds fun!! Maybe I'll go see that movie then, it looked pretty good as long as it's not too scary. :) My weekend was good - I had brunch with you! And you didn't make Carter cry, really. He was in such a mood that day, ALL DAY. By 7:30pm, I put him down for an early bed time because he was driving me crazy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails