Thursday, May 13, 2010

Custom Color Chalkboard Paint

In this post, I said that Home Depot will make any color paint into chalkboard paint... well, I was wrong. There is one brand, Rustoleum, that is tintable in 12 colors, but they are really bright and not that calming feel I was looking for with our "someday" nursery. After discovering my error, I did a quick Google search for "chalkboard paint" and that led me to YOU KNOW WHO!
Now I know where I got this idea that chalkboard paint can be any color... why Martha, how I do love you so...


Here is Martha's instructions for custom color chalkboard paint:



"Custom Colors How-To
Start with flat-finish latex paint in any shade. For small areas, such as a door panel, mix 1 cup at a time.
1. Pour 1 cup of paint into a container. Add 2 tablespoons of unsanded tile grout. Mix with a paint stirrer, carefully breaking up clumps.
2. Apply paint with a roller or a sponge paintbrush to a primed or painted surface. Work in small sections, going over the same spot several times to ensure full, even coverage. Let dry.
3. Smooth area with 150-grit sandpaper, and wipe off dust.
4. To condition: Rub the side of a piece of chalk over entire surface. Wipe away residue with a barely damp sponge."

Look at all her genius ideas for integrating this into your existing home decor:




This is very similar to the idea I had for putting up wainscoting, but this is way more accessible for a little kid...
 

Love this for a home office or kitchen command center!

While this process is a bit more involved than just buying paint that they mix for you and home depot and slapping it on the walls, I think it is definitely doable and would make such interesting and ever-changing art!

Have you tried any of Martha's DIY projects?

1 comments:

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Lovely idea, thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails